Solutions and Benefits
In general a Sample Management System is a system to monitor and manage samples.
SampleNavigator is developed to do that and do it perfectly. It provides laboratories with the following solutions:
• Management of samples
• Tracking and Tracing of samples
• Efficient Clinical Trials
• Support research with adequate data
• Standardize your work processes in the laboratory
• Automate part of your sample-handling
• Manage your work processes
• One database for samples, also historic samples
• Interface with scanners and instruments to save time and prevent errors
SampleNavigator can be used in all organizations where samples of any kind are handled and stored.
Examples of organizations can be:
• Clinical Trials
Business Case of SampleNavigator
The business case of SampleNavigator is rather simple: save money.
• on the short term, because you can store samples with far less work
• on the long term, because retrieving samples takes less work with far more quality of data because of the state-of-the art SQL database.
The total costs of ownership of a sample are far less with SampleNavigator.
In addition, the value (scientific and quality) of a sample is far higher, because you exactly know the history of a sample.
Just by searching and clicking, you know:
• the why,
• the who,
• the what,
• the where,
• the when.
A Sample Management System is not a LIMS
A common misunderstanding is that a sample management system is just an extension to a LIMS. It is true that both are used at a laboratory, but they have different functions, have another architecture and are based on another technology.
The main difference is that a LIMS is laboratory process driven. It is targeted to automate and register the handling of instruments. A sample management system on the other hand is database driven. In a sample management system the safeguarding of data, the structure of the data is central. Around that, data processes are defined. Processes that extend far outside the laboratory, for instance to prepare empty tubes for clinical trials.
From a software engineering point of view, they are totally different systems.
But what are the practical consequences of those differences? Is it important to care about those differences?
Yes, those differences propagate to:
- LIMS systems are often very old, have many functions and combine a lot of technology.
They have to, because they must control all those instruments. Internally they are rather complex, what means that they need a lot of effort for implementations.
- Sample management systems are modern.
They use the latest technology. Modern technology, internet technology based, means it is far easier to connect instruments.
- The real value of samples are the samples themselves in combination with the data.
A sample management system has a standard data structure about the samples, a LIMS is structured around the process-flow in a laboratory.
- The data in a sample management system is centrally available, in LIMS it is at several places. Where to search?
- Verifying the authenticity, integrity and validity of data is guaranteed in a sample management system: it has a uniform architecture, and a central database. In a LIMS that is far more difficult or impossible.
SampleNavigator is a mature system
SampleNavigator is a mature system, currently employed to the satisfaction by many customers. It has been up and running non-stop, 24/7, for years now (2008) and has been glitch and interruption-free ever since.
Not only is our software mature, the same can be said about our development and support. We employ only expert commercial software developers and use the most rigorous methods, never skipping corners. This thorough approach ensures and has produced very high quality applications.
We do the right things, in the right sequence: new versions of SampleNavigator contain the right functionality, without unnecessary glitches.
We work with the international standard CMMI® level 4, assuring totally control over the development process.
We do not have and do not want to have expensive consultants that fly all over the world to implement SampleNavigator at your premises.
Our focus is to make software that you can implement yourself.
SampleNavigator is comprehensive
SampleNavigator is comprehensive, nearly everything necessary for professional sample management is supported.
It works out of the box, with standard work-processes and standard data-structures. You can change and adapt SampleNavigator in such a way it perfectly fulfils your requirements.
All the advantages of Cloud Computing
SampleNavigator has a straightforward and, on purpose, a rather simple architecture. It consists of a Windows App, an application server for browser access and a SQL Server. All targeted for the Microsoft platform.
There are no special requirements on your infrastructure. You can install it directly on your servers, on virtual severs, a NAS or a SAN.
You can also use our data-center in the Netherlands to use SampleNavigator as a Service.
We store and backup your data and all your data is protected under the very strict Dutch privacy-laws.